Origins Available: English
The Paradise surname comes from when someone in the family lived a town called Paradis, in Burgundy. In France, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names could sometimes denote the proprietorship of the village or estate.
Early Origins of the Paradise family
The surname Paradise was first found in Burgundy (Bourgogne) where they held a family seat
in the seigneurie of Paulhac.
Early History of the Paradise family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Paradise research.Another 136 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Paradise History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Paradise Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Paradis, Paradys, Paradise, Paradises, Paradisse, Paradisses, Paradyse, Paradyses, Paradysse, Paradysses, Paraidis and many more.
Early Notables of the Paradise family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Paradise Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Paradise family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Paradise Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Paradise, who settled in Virginia in 1654
Paradise Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Paradise, who arrived in New York in 1761
- Francis Paradise Jr. who was deported to America in 1766
Paradise Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lucy Paradise, who arrived in Virginia in 1815
- Benjamin Paradise, who settled in Philadelphia in 1868
- Benjamin Paradise, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1868
Paradise Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Isaac Paradise, aged 22, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Westminster" in 1843
- E. Paradise, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Tongariro" in 1888
Contemporary Notables of the name Paradise (post 1700)
- Michelle Paradise (b. 1972), American actress, writer and producer, best known for the short film The Ten Rules and the television series Exes and Ohs
- Jack L. Paradise, American professor emeritus of pediatrics at University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Dick Paradise (1945-1992), American ice hockey player who died at age 47 after suffering a heart attack during a charity game in Medford, Wisconsin
- Robert Harvey "Bob" Paradise (b. 1944), American former professional ice hockey defenseman, inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame