Early Origins of the Papineau family
The surname Papineau was first found in Maine, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat
with lands and manor. The family were well established in the region of Le Mans and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived and were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility.
Early History of the Papineau family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Papineau research.Another 240 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1647, 1704, 1712, 1786, 1837, and 1871 are included under the topic Early Papineau History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Papineau Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Papineau, Papinière, Pappineau, Papino, Pappino, Papinau, Pappinau, Papineaux, Pappineaux, Papinaux, Pappinaux, Papineaut, Pappineat, Papinot, Pappinot, Papinaut, Pappinaut, Papinault, Pappinault, Pappineault and many more.
Early Notables of the Papineau family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Papineau Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Papineau family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Papineau Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Samuel Papineau-Montigny, who arrived in Quebec in 1704
Contemporary Notables of the name Papineau (post 1700)
- David Papineau (b. 1947), British academic philosopher, Professor of Philosophy of Science at King's College London
- Lucie Papineau (b. 1946), former Canadian politician
- André-Benjamin Papineau (1809-1890), notary and political figure in Lower Canada
- Denis-Émery Papineau (1819-1899), Quebec notary and political figure
- Major Talbot Mercer Papineau MC (1883-1917), Canadian lawyer and soldier
- Joseph Papineau (1752-1841), Quebec politician, notary, seigneur in Lower Canada, father of Louis-Joseph Papineau
- Louis-Joseph Papineau (1786-1871), Quebec politician, leader of the reformist Patriote movement in the Lower Canada Rebellion of 1837–1838