on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Overman family come from? What is the English Overman family crest and coat of arms? When did the Overman family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Overman family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Overman, Overer, Overy, Offerman, Oferman and others.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Overman research. Another 255 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Overman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Overman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Overman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jacob Overman, who settled in Maryland in 1667
- Jacob Overman, who landed in Maryland in 1667
Overman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Willm. Overman, who came to Philadelphia in 1801
- Henrietta Overman, who settled in New York, NY in 1822
- F. Overman, who settled in Baltimore in 1826
- Fernando Overman, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1826
- Frederick Overman, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1836
- Lynne Overman, American film actress
- Ion Overman (b. 1976), American actress
- Larry E. Overman, American chemist, Professor of Chemistry at the University of California, best known for the Overman rearrangement
- Lee Slater Overman (1854-1930), Democratic U.S. senator
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Overman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Overman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 May 2014 at 08:15.
on orders of $85 or more