Overall is a name of ancient Norman origin. It arrived in England
with the Norman Conquest
of 1066. The Overall family lived the Old French word Avril,
The name would have initially been given to a child born in the month of April.
Early Origins of the Overall family
The surname Overall was first found in Gloucestershire
where they were granted lands by William the Conqueror for their assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. They were conjecturally descended from a Norman noble, Avril, who landed with William the Conqueror.
Early History of the Overall family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Overall research.Another 117 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1559, 1619, 1601, 1614 and 1618 are included under the topic Early Overall History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Overall Spelling Variations
Endless spelling variations
are a prevailing characteristic of Norman surnames. Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules, and the introduction of Norman French added an unfamiliar ingredient to the English linguistic stew. French and Latin, the languages of the court, also influenced spellings. Finally, Medieval scribes generally spelled words according to how they sounded, so one person was often referred to by different spellings in different documents. The name has been spelled Averell, Averall, Avrill, Avril, Averel, Abrill and many more.
Early Notables of the Overall family (pre 1700)
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Overall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Overall family to Ireland
Some of the Overall family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 93 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Overall family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the political and religious persecution within England
at the time, many English families left for the various British colonies abroad. The voyage was extremely difficult, though, and the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving. But for those who made it, the trip was most often worth it. Many of the families who arrived went on to make valuable contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families reveals a number of immigrants bearing the name Overall or a variant listed above:
Overall Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Overall, who arrived in Indiana in 1852 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Overall Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ada Overall, aged 29, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- William A Overall, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States from Headley, in 1906
- Amelia Overall, aged 41, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- Clara Overall, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States from Headley, in 1906
- Daisy Overall, aged 17, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Overall Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Jesse Overall, aged 41, a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Duke of Wellington" CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) The DUKE OF WELLINGTON 1849. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1849Duke%20of%20Wellington.htm
- John Overall, aged 21, a smith, who arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Himalaya" CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) The HIMALAYA 1849. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1849Himalaya.htm
- Henry Overall, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Pestonjee Bomanjee" in 1851 CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) PESTONJEE BOMANJEE 1851. Retrieved http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1851Marion.htm
Overall Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Overall, aged 26, who arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Apelles" in 1874
- Phillis Overall, aged 26, who arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Apelles" in 1874
Contemporary Notables of the name Overall (post 1700)
- Orval Overall (1881-1947), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Park Overall (b. 1957), American film and television actress, known for her heavy Southern accent
- Sir John Wallace Overall CBE MC & Bar (1913-2001), Australian World War II veteran and architect