Otwell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Otwell is an ancient Norman name that arrived in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name Otwell comes from the Norman given name of Ottiwell.
Early Origins of the Otwell family
The surname Otwell was first found in Cheshire where they held a family seat after the Norman Conquest of England in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Otwell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Otwell research. Another 126 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 112 and 1120 are included under the topic Early Otwell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Otwell Spelling Variations
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several different spellings in a single lifetime. The various spellings include Ottiwell, Ottewell, Ottawell, Ottowell, Ottiwill, Ottwell and many more.
Early Notables of the Otwell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Otwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Otwell is the 12,549th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Otwell migration to the United States +
Many English families left England, to avoid the chaos of their homeland and migrated to the many British colonies abroad. Although the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and some travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, once in the colonies, many of the families prospered and made valuable contributions to the cultures of what would become the United States and Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Otwell or a variant listed above:
Otwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bridget Otwell, who settled in New York State in 1853
Contemporary Notables of the name Otwell (post 1700) +
- David Otwell (b. 1956), the other half of an American singing duo made up of identical twin brothers
- Roger Otwell (b. 1956), half of an American singing duo made up of identical twin brothers. They are best known as members of The Lawrence Welk Show from 1977-1982
- Ronnie Ray Otwell, American Theatre Printing Executive, Georgia
- Otwell Rankin (b. 1916), American Democratic Party politician, Chair of Kenton County Democratic Party, 1959-67; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1964 
Related Stories +