100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ortun, Orton, Ortone and others.
First found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times as Lords of the manor of Orton, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Orton research. Another 187 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1224 and 1550 are included under the topic Early Orton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Orton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Orton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Orton, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1636
- John Orton who settled in Virginia in 1654
- James Orton, who arrived in Virginia in 1664
Orton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christopher Orton, who landed in Georgia in 1741
- Mr. Orton settled in Georgia in 1741
- Thomas Orton landed in America in 1763
- William Orton settled in Maryland in 1772
Orton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jane and Maria Orton settled in New York State in 1822
- Jane Orton, aged 26, landed in America in 1822
- Maria Orton, aged 16, landed in America in 1822
- Robert Orton settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1856
Orton Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Orton, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749
Orton Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William Orton, who landed in Canada in 1836
Orton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Orton, English convict from Leicester, who was transported aboard the "Adelaide" on August 08, 1849, settling in Van Diemen's Land and Port Phillip, Australia
Orton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Orton, aged 19, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Oxford" in 1874
- Harlow S. Orton (1817-1895), American justice on the Wisconsin Supreme Court from (1878-1895), Chief Justice from 1894 to 1895
- Azariah Giles Orton (1789-1864), American Presbyterian theologian
- James Orton (1830-1877), American naturalist
- Daniel Joseph Orton (b. 1990), American professional NBA basketball player
- William "Bill" Orton (1948-2009), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Utah (1991-1997)
- Samuel Torrey Orton (1879-1948), American physician who pioneered the study of learning disabilities, best known for his work on dyslexia
- Robert Keith "Cowboy" Orton (b. 1950), American professional wrestler
- Robert Dale "Bob" Orton (1929-2006), American professional wrestler
- Randal Keith "Randy" Orton (b. 1980), American professional wrestler and actor
- C. J. Orton, American politician, Delegate to Ohio State Constitutional Convention from Sandusky County, 1850-51
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
The Orton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Orton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 October 2015 at 09:37.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!