on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Orton family come from? What is the Scottish Orton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Orton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Orton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ortun, Orton, Ortone and others.
First found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times as Lords of the manor of Orton, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Orton research. Another 187 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1224 and 1550 are included under the topic Early Orton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Orton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Orton Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Orton, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1636
- John Orton who settled in Virginia in 1654
- James Orton, who arrived in Virginia in 1664
Orton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christopher Orton, who landed in Georgia in 1741
- Mr. Orton settled in Georgia in 1741
- Thomas Orton landed in America in 1763
- William Orton settled in Maryland in 1772
Orton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jane and Maria Orton settled in New York State in 1822
- Jane Orton, aged 26, landed in America in 1822
- Maria Orton, aged 16, landed in America in 1822
- Robert Orton settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1856
Orton Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- John Orton, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1749
Orton Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William Orton, who landed in Canada in 1836
Orton Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Orton, English convict from Leicester, who was transported aboard the "Adelaide" on August 08, 1849, settling in Van Diemen's Land and Port Phillip, Australia
Orton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Orton, aged 19, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Oxford" in 1874
- Randal Keith "Randy" Orton (b. 1980), American professional wrestler and actor
- Robert Dale "Bob" Orton (1929-2006), American professional wrestler
- Robert Keith "Cowboy" Orton (b. 1950), American professional wrestler
- Samuel Torrey Orton (1879-1948), American physician who pioneered the study of learning disabilities, best known for his work on dyslexia
- William "Bill" Orton (1948-2009), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Utah (1991-1997)
- Daniel Joseph Orton (b. 1990), American professional NBA basketball player
- James Orton (1830-1877), American naturalist
- Azariah Giles Orton (1789-1864), American Presbyterian theologian
- Harlow S. Orton (1817-1895), American justice on the Wisconsin Supreme Court from (1878-1895), Chief Justice from 1894 to 1895
- Elizabeth Caroline Orton (b. 1970), Award-winning English singer-songwriter
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
The Orton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Orton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2014 at 15:27.
on orders of $85 or more