Ortman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Ortman family
The surname Ortman was first found in Silesia, where the name emerged after the 14th century, where it was related to the name "Ertmar"; this name is also reflected in the place name Erdmannsdorf, found in both Saxony and Silesia. This family name spread throughout the northern regions of Germany, and Ertwin Erdtmann is mentioned in Osnabrueck chronicles as early as 1509.
Early History of the Ortman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ortman research. Another 97 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1703, 1843, 1629, 1666, 1665, 1666, 1774, 1835, 1804, 1869, 1805, 1892 and 1809 are included under the topic Early Ortman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ortman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Erdmann, Erdman, Ertmann, Ertman, Erdtmann and many more.
Early Notables of the Ortman family (pre 1700)
Notables of the period with the surname Ortman were Francis Erdmann of Saxe-Lauenburg (1629-1666), Duke of Saxe-Lauenburg between 1665 and 1666; Karl Gottfried Erdmann (1774-1835), a physician who introduced vaccination in Saxony; his son Otto (1804-1869) achieved fame as a chemist; and Johann Eduard Erdmann (1805-1892), a historian of philosophy.
The Baroness Ertmann, whose maiden name was Dorothea Cäcilia Graumann, of Offenbach near Frankfort, will go down to posterity as an intimate friend of Beethoven's, and one of the most competent interpreters of his pianoforte music during...
Another 85 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ortman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ortman migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ortman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christopher Ortman, who landed in Georgia in 1733 
- Francis Ortman, who arrived in New York in 1769-1770 
Ortman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John B Ortman, who arrived in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1846 
- Frank A Ortman, who landed in Iroquois County, Illinois in 1888 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ortman (post 1700) +
- George Earl Ortman (1926-2015), American painter, printmaker, constructionist and sculptor
- Herbert W. Ortman, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 11th District, 1955-58 
- Frank A. Ortman, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1932 
- Charles L. Ortman, American politician, Mayor of East Saginaw, Michigan, 1872-73 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html