The surname Oney was first found in Buckinghamshire at Olney, a market town and civil parish in the Borough of Milton Keynes. The place dates back to 979 where it was listed as Ollanege. By the time of the Domesday Book, the place name had evolved to Olnei  which meant "island, or dry ground in a marsh, of a man called Olla," derived from the Old English personal name + eg. 
On November 4th, 1643, Olney was the site of the Battle of Olney Bridge, a skirmish in the First English Civil War. The town has a long history as a lace-making centre, but is best known as the place where the Olney Hymns were written.
John Newton (1725-1807), author of the hymn Amazing Grace was curate of Olney. Some of the family were found in Weston-Underwood in early times. "The church [of Weston-Underwood] is a neat structure, built by Sir John Olney in the 14th century." 
Early History of the Oney family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Oney research. Another 174 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1272, 1800, 1877, 1600, 1682 and 1635 are included under the topic Early Oney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.