100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Northrup family come from? What is the English Northrup family crest and coat of arms? When did the Northrup family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Northrup family history?The name Northrup is a habitational name, derived from the place named Northorpe in the former East Riding of Yorkshire. The place name comes from the Old English "norž," meaning "north," and "žorp," or "žrop," meaning an "outlying farmstead" or "hamlet."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northrup, Northorp, Northrop, Northup, Northope and others.
First found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat in ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northrup research. Another 302 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1216, 1273, 1296, 1379, and 1682 are included under the topic Early Northrup History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Northrup Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northrup Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Northrup, who sailed to New England between 1620 and 1650
- Joseph Northrup sailed to Massachusetts in 1637
- Joseph Northrup, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1637
Northrup Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G H Northrup, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- E. Northrup, who came to San Francisco in 1852
- E. B. Northrup, who came to San Francisco in 1852
- Emma Northrup, aged 43, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- H.E. Northrup, aged 46, who landed in America, in 1894
Northrup Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Harper Samuel Northrup, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1905
- George Tyler Northrup, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1907
- E. Antoinette Northrup, aged 55, who landed in America, in 1907
- Edward Northrup, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1909
- Frank E. Northrup, aged 41, who settled in America, in 1911
- Cobb Northrup, who arrived in Nova Scotia sometime between 1598 and 1867
- Benjamin Northrup, who arrived in Nova Scotia sometime between 1598 and 1867
- Abigail Northrup, who came to Nova Scotia sometime between 1598 and 1867
Northrup Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Joseph Northrup sailed to Nova Scotia in 1760
- Philip Northrup (1904-1963), American track and field athlete who won the NCAA javelin championship in 1925 and 1926
- Jim "Gray Fox" Northrup (1939-2011), American Major League Baseball player who played from 1964 to 1975
- Patricia Northrup, American military pilot, former Miss California, recipient of three Flying Air Medals
- Leonard "Lynn" L. Northrup Jr. (b. 1918), American inventor and businessman
- Jim Northrup (b. 1943), Native American newspaper columnist
- Theodore Havermeyer Northrup (1866-1919), American ragtime composer, best known for his "Louisiana Rag" (1897)
- Harry Northrup (1875-1936), French-born, American film actor of the silent film era who appeared in 135 films
- Edwin Fitch Northrup (1886-1940), American professor of physics at Princeton University
- William Barton Northrup (1856-1925), Canadian lawyer and politician, 5th Clerk of the House of Commons (1918-1924)
- Bruce Northrup (b. 1955), Canadian politician in New Brunswick, Minister of Public Safety (2013-2014), Minister of Natural Resources (2010-2013)
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Northrup Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northrup Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 April 2015 at 08:05.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!