on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Northrup family come from? What is the English Northrup family crest and coat of arms? When did the Northrup family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Northrup family history?The name Northrup is a habitational name, derived from the place named Northorpe in the former East Riding of Yorkshire. The place name comes from the Old English "norž," meaning "north," and "žorp," or "žrop," meaning an "outlying farmstead" or "hamlet."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northrup, Northorp, Northrop, Northup, Northope and others.
First found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat in ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northrup research. Another 302 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1216, 1273, 1296, 1379, and 1682 are included under the topic Early Northrup History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Northrup Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northrup Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Northrup, who sailed to New England between 1620 and 1650
- Joseph Northrup sailed to Massachusetts in 1637
- Joseph Northrup, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1637
Northrup Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G H Northrup, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- E. Northrup, who came to San Francisco in 1852
- E. B. Northrup, who came to San Francisco in 1852
- Emma Northrup, aged 43, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- H.E. Northrup, aged 46, who landed in America, in 1894
Northrup Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Harper Samuel Northrup, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1905
- George Tyler Northrup, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1907
- E. Antoinette Northrup, aged 55, who landed in America, in 1907
- Edward Northrup, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1909
- Frank E. Northrup, aged 41, who settled in America, in 1911
- Cobb Northrup, who arrived in Nova Scotia sometime between 1598 and 1867
- Benjamin Northrup, who arrived in Nova Scotia sometime between 1598 and 1867
- Abigail Northrup, who came to Nova Scotia sometime between 1598 and 1867
Northrup Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Joseph Northrup sailed to Nova Scotia in 1760
- Philip Northrup (1904-1963), American track and field athlete who won the NCAA javelin championship in 1925 and 1926
- Jim "Gray Fox" Northrup (1939-2011), American Major League Baseball player who played from 1964 to 1975
- Patricia Northrup, American military pilot, former Miss California, recipient of three Flying Air Medals
- Leonard "Lynn" L. Northrup Jr. (b. 1918), American inventor and businessman
- Jim Northrup (b. 1943), Native American newspaper columnist
- Theodore Havermeyer Northrup (1866-1919), American ragtime composer, best known for his "Louisiana Rag" (1897)
- Harry Northrup (1875-1936), French-born, American film actor of the silent film era who appeared in 135 films
- Edwin Fitch Northrup (1886-1940), American professor of physics at Princeton University
- William Barton Northrup (1856-1925), Canadian lawyer and politician, 5th Clerk of the House of Commons (1918-1924)
- Bruce Northrup (b. 1955), Canadian politician in New Brunswick, Minister of Public Safety (2013-2014), Minister of Natural Resources (2010-2013)
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Northrup Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northrup Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 April 2015 at 08:05.
on orders of $85 or more