on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Northrop family come from? What is the English Northrop family crest and coat of arms? When did the Northrop family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Northrop family history?The name Northrop is a habitational name, derived from the place named Northorpe in the former East Riding of Yorkshire. The place name comes from the Old English "norž," meaning "north," and "žorp," or "žrop," meaning an "outlying farmstead" or "hamlet."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northrup, Northorp, Northrop, Northup, Northope and others.
First found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat in ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northrop research. Another 302 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1216, 1273, 1296, 1379, and 1682 are included under the topic Early Northrop History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Northrop Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northrop Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Northrop, who arrived in America in 1782
- Joseph Northrop sailed to America in 1782
- Joseph Northrop, who landed in America in 1782
Northrop Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John A. Northrop, who arrived in Baltimore in 1847
- R. Northrop migrated to California in 1851
- R Northrop, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Edwin Northrop, who settled in New York, NY in 1883
- Joshua Northrop, who settled in Nova Scotia sometime between 1598 and 1867
Northrop Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Henry S. Northrop, who settled in Ontario in 1871
Northrop Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Isaac Northrop arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Excelsior" in 1870
- Filmer Northrop, American professor of philosophy and law, Yale University
- John Knudsen "Jack" Northrop (1895-1981), American aircraft industrialist and designer, who founded the Northrop Corporation in 1939
- Henry Pinckney Northrop (1842-1916), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- Lucius Bellinger Northrop (1811-1894), the Commissary-General of the armed forces of the Confederate States
- Edward Skottowe Northrop (1911-2003), United States federal judge
- Ann Northrop (b. 1948), American journalist and activist
- Cyrus Northrop (1834-1922), American university president
- Wayne Northrop (b. 1947), American actor, known for his parts in soap operas
- John Howard Northrop, American biochemist who won a Nobel prize in 1946
- Cartwright-Northrip and Allied Families by Lloyd Jay Cartwright.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Northrop Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northrop Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 April 2015 at 16:30.
on orders of $85 or more