on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Northrop family come from? What is the English Northrop family crest and coat of arms? When did the Northrop family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Northrop family history?The name Northrop is a habitational name, derived from the place named Northorpe in the former East Riding of Yorkshire. The place name comes from the Old English "norž," meaning "north," and "žorp," or "žrop," meaning an "outlying farmstead" or "hamlet."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northrup, Northorp, Northrop, Northup, Northope and others.
First found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat in ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northrop research. Another 302 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1216, 1273, 1296, 1379, and 1682 are included under the topic Early Northrop History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Northrop Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northrop Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Northrop, who arrived in America in 1782
- Joseph Northrop sailed to America in 1782
- Joseph Northrop, who landed in America in 1782
Northrop Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John A. Northrop, who arrived in Baltimore in 1847
- R. Northrop migrated to California in 1851
- R Northrop, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Edwin Northrop, who settled in New York, NY in 1883
- Joshua Northrop, who settled in Nova Scotia sometime between 1598 and 1867
Northrop Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Henry S. Northrop, who settled in Ontario in 1871
Northrop Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Isaac Northrop arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Excelsior" in 1870
- John Howard Northrop, American biochemist who won a Nobel prize in 1946
- Filmer Northrop, American professor of philosophy and law, Yale University
- Wayne Northrop (b. 1947), American actor, known for his parts in soap operas
- Cyrus Northrop (1834-1922), American university president
- Ann Northrop (b. 1948), American journalist and activist
- Edward Skottowe Northrop (1911-2003), United States federal judge
- Lucius Bellinger Northrop (1811-1894), the Commissary-General of the armed forces of the Confederate States
- Henry Pinckney Northrop (1842-1916), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- John Knudsen "Jack" Northrop (1895-1981), American aircraft industrialist and designer, who founded the Northrop Corporation in 1939
- Cartwright-Northrip and Allied Families by Lloyd Jay Cartwright.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Northrop Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northrop Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 April 2015 at 16:30.
on orders of $85 or more