on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Northrop family come from? What is the English Northrop family crest and coat of arms? When did the Northrop family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Northrop family history?The name Northrop is a habitational name, derived from the place named Northorpe in the former East Riding of Yorkshire. The place name comes from the Old English "norž," meaning "north," and "žorp," or "žrop," meaning an "outlying farmstead" or "hamlet."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northrup, Northorp, Northrop, Northup, Northope and others.
First found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat in ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northrop research. Another 302 words(22 lines of text) covering the years 1216, 1273, 1296, 1379, and 1682 are included under the topic Early Northrop History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Northrop Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northrop Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Northrop, who arrived in America in 1782
- Joseph Northrop sailed to America in 1782
- Joseph Northrop, who landed in America in 1782
Northrop Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John A. Northrop, who arrived in Baltimore in 1847
- R. Northrop migrated to California in 1851
- R Northrop, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Edwin Northrop, who settled in New York, NY in 1883
- Joshua Northrop, who settled in Nova Scotia sometime between 1598 and 1867
Northrop Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Henry S. Northrop, who settled in Ontario in 1871
Northrop Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Isaac Northrop arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Excelsior" in 1870
- John Howard Northrop, American biochemist who won a Nobel prize in 1946
- Filmer Northrop, American professor of philosophy and law, Yale University
- Wayne Northrop (b. 1947), American actor, known for his parts in soap operas
- Cyrus Northrop (1834-1922), American university president
- Ann Northrop (b. 1948), American journalist and activist
- Edward Skottowe Northrop (1911-2003), United States federal judge
- Lucius Bellinger Northrop (1811-1894), the Commissary-General of the armed forces of the Confederate States
- Henry Pinckney Northrop (1842-1916), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church
- John Knudsen "Jack" Northrop (1895-1981), American aircraft industrialist and designer, who founded the Northrop Corporation in 1939
- Cartwright-Northrip and Allied Families by Lloyd Jay Cartwright.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Northrop Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Northrop Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 April 2015 at 16:30.
on orders of $85 or more