Northcote History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Northcote surname is a habitational name, taken on from any of several places, such as Northcott in Devon. These place names are derived from the Old English words "norð," meaning "north," and "cot," meaning a "cottage," or "shelter."
Early Origins of the Northcote family
The surname Northcote was first found in Devon at Northcote (Northcott), a hamlet, in the parish of Boyton, union of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington. The surname claims descendancy "from Galfridus, who was of Northcote, in the parish of East-Downe, in the twelfth century." 
Early History of the Northcote family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Northcote research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1100, 1587, 1570, 1632, 1599, 1676, 1640, 1676, 1628, 1688, 1710, 1743, 1730, 1743, 1103 and 1648 are included under the topic Early Northcote History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Northcote Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Northcott, Norcott, Norcutt, Northcutt, Northcote and others.
Early Notables of the Northcote family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include John Northcote (d.1587), a cloth merchant of Crediton; and his son, John Northcote (1570-1632), of Uton and Hayne, Newton St Cyres, near Crediton, Devon, Lord of the Manor of Newton St Cyres; Sir John Northcote, 1st Baronet (1599-1676), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1640 and 1676; Sir...
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Northcote Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Northcote migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Northcote Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hazell Northcote, who settled in Virginia in 1726
- James Northcote, who arrived in America in 1771
Contemporary Notables of the name Northcote (post 1700) +
- James Spencer Northcote (1821-1907), English Catholic priest and writer from Feniton Court, Devon
- James Northcote (1746-1831), English painter from Plymouth
- Sir Henry Northcote (1710-1743), 5th Baronet, British Member of Parliament for Exeter (1730–1743)
- Henry Northcote (1901-1970), 3rd Earl of Iddesleigh, British peer
- Stafford Northcote GCB, PC, FRS (1818-1887), 1st Earl of Iddesleigh, British politician, President of the Board of Trade (1866-1867), Chancellor of the Exchequer (1874-1880), Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs (1886-1887)
- Henry Stafford Northcote GCMG, GCIE, CB, PC (1846-1911), 1st Baron Northcote, 3rd Governor-General of Australia (1904-1908), Governor of Bombay (1900-1903), Member of Parliament for Exeter (1880-1899)
- Sir Geoffry Alexander Stafford Northcote (1881-1948), British colonial administrator, 20th Governor of Hong Kong (1937-1941)
- John Northcote Nash CBE RA (1893-1977), British painter of landscapes and stilllifes
- Cyril Northcote Parkinson (1909-1993), British historian and author
Related Stories +
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.