Norfleet History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Norfleet surname comes from the name of the county of Norfolk, which is derived Old English words "norð," meaning "north," and "folc," meaning "people."
Early Origins of the Norfleet family
The surname Norfleet was first found in Cheshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1154 when William of Norfolk held estates.
Early History of the Norfleet family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Norfleet research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1379, 1455, 1487 and 1680 are included under the topic Early Norfleet History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Norfleet Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Norfolk, Northfolk, Norfoke and others.
Early Notables of the Norfleet family (pre 1700)
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Norfleet Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Norfleet is the 4,149th most popular surname with an estimated 7,461 people with that name. 
Migration of the Norfleet family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Norfolke, who came to Barbados in 1659; Thomas Norfolk, who came to Maryland in 1668; and Diana Norfolk, who arrived in Virginia in 1701.
Contemporary Notables of the name Norfleet (post 1700) +
- Shauntia Latrice "Tia" Norfleet (b. 1986), American drag racing and stock car racing driver, daughter of Bobby Norfleet
- Bobby Norfleet (b. 1958), American race car driver
- Celeste O. Norfleet, American novelist of romance and young adult novels
- Susan Norfleet, American actress, known for her roles in Jerry Maguire (1996), Reality Bites (1994) and Spaced Out! (1992)
- William Norfleet, American politician, Member of North Carolina House of Commons from Edgecombe County, 1852-53 
- Reginald H. Norfleet, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1908 
- R. A. Norfleet, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Missouri, 1908 
- Patricia Norfleet, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 24th District, 1978 
- Earl Norfleet Phillips, American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Antigua and Barbuda, 2002-03; Barbados, 2002-03; Dominica, 2002; Grenada, 2002; SAINT Kitts and Nevis, 2002-03; SAINT Lucia, 2002-03 
Related Stories +