on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Norcross family come from? What is the English Norcross family crest and coat of arms? When did the Norcross family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Norcross family history?The Norcross surname is a habitational name taken on from a place near Blackpool; so named from Old English words "norš," meaning "north," and "cros," meaning "cross."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Norcross, Norcress, Northcross, Norecross and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the13th century when they held a family seat at Alston and Hothersale in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Norcross research. Another 271 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Norcross History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Norcross Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Norcross Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeremiah Norcross, who came to Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1642
- Jeremiah Norcross, who arrived in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1642
- John Norcross, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1642
- Nathaniel Norcross, who arrived in New England in 1643
- Nathaniel Norcross, who came to New England in 1643
Norcross Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benj Norcross, who settled in Philadelphia in 1822
- D. L. Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco in 1850
- D L Norcross, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- D C Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- T W Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Norcross Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Samuel Norcross, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1759
- Eleanor Norcross (1854-1923), American female artist in the 19th century
- David A. Norcross (b. 1937), American Republican Party politician
- Donald Norcross (b. 1958), American labor leader and Democratic Party politician
- Otis C. Norcross (1811-1882), American who served as the nineteenth Mayor of Boston
- Fred Stevenson "Norky" Norcross (1884-1965), American college football player and coach
- Arthur D. Norcross, American Republican politician, Member of Massachusetts State House of Representatives First Hampden District, 1905
- Amasa Norcross (1824-1898), American Republican politician, Mayor of Fitchburg, Massachusetts, 1873-74; Member of Massachusetts State Senate, 1874; U.S. Representative from Massachusetts 10th District, 1877-83
- Alessandra T. Norcross, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 2008
- Carl C. Norcross, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Ledyard, 1948
- David F. Norcross, American Republican politician, New Jersey Republican State Chair, 1977; Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Jersey, 2004, 2008; Member of Republican National Committee from New Jersey, 2008
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Norcross Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Norcross Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 November 2015 at 11:05.
on orders of $85 or more