100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Norcross surname is a habitational name taken on from a place near Blackpool; so named from Old English words "norš," meaning "north," and "cros," meaning "cross."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Norcross, Norcress, Northcross, Norecross and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the13th century when they held a family seat at Alston and Hothersale in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Norcross research. Another 271 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Norcross History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Norcross Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Norcross Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeremiah Norcross, who came to Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1642
- Jeremiah Norcross, who arrived in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1642
- John Norcross, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1642
- Nathaniel Norcross, who arrived in New England in 1643
- Nathaniel Norcross, who came to New England in 1643
Norcross Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benj Norcross, who settled in Philadelphia in 1822
- D. L. Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco in 1850
- D L Norcross, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- D C Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- T W Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Norcross Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Samuel Norcross, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1759
- Eleanor Norcross (1854-1923), American female artist in the 19th century
- David A. Norcross (b. 1937), American Republican Party politician
- Donald Norcross (b. 1958), American labor leader and Democratic Party politician
- Otis C. Norcross (1811-1882), American who served as the nineteenth Mayor of Boston
- Fred Stevenson "Norky" Norcross (1884-1965), American college football player and coach
- Arthur D. Norcross, American Republican politician, Member of Massachusetts State House of Representatives First Hampden District, 1905
- Amasa Norcross (1824-1898), American Republican politician, Mayor of Fitchburg, Massachusetts, 1873-74; Member of Massachusetts State Senate, 1874; U.S. Representative from Massachusetts 10th District, 1877-83
- Alessandra T. Norcross, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 2008
- Carl C. Norcross, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Ledyard, 1948
- David F. Norcross, American Republican politician, New Jersey Republican State Chair, 1977; Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Jersey, 2004, 2008; Member of Republican National Committee from New Jersey, 2008
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Norcross Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Norcross Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 November 2015 at 11:05.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!