100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Norcross family come from? What is the English Norcross family crest and coat of arms? When did the Norcross family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Norcross family history?The Norcross surname is a habitational name taken on from a place near Blackpool; so named from Old English words "norš," meaning "north," and "cros," meaning "cross."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Norcross, Norcress, Northcross, Norecross and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the13th century when they held a family seat at Alston and Hothersale in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Norcross research. Another 271 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Norcross History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Norcross Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Norcross Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeremiah Norcross, who came to Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1642
- Jeremiah Norcross, who arrived in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1642
- John Norcross, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1642
- Nathaniel Norcross, who arrived in New England in 1643
- Nathaniel Norcross, who came to New England in 1643
Norcross Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benj Norcross, who settled in Philadelphia in 1822
- D. L. Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco in 1850
- D L Norcross, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- D C Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- T W Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Norcross Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Samuel Norcross, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1759
- Jonathan Norcross (1808-1898), American industrialist and politician, the fourth mayor of Atlanta
- Amasa Norcross (1824-1898), American lawyer and politician, U.S. Representative from Massachusetts
- Frank Norcross (1857-1926), American actor
- Fred Stevenson "Norky" Norcross (1884-1965), American college football player and coach
- Otis C. Norcross (1811-1882), American who served as the nineteenth Mayor of Boston
- Donald Norcross (b. 1958), American labor leader and Democratic Party politician
- David A. Norcross (b. 1937), American Republican Party politician
- Eleanor Norcross (1854-1923), American female artist in the 19th century
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Norcross Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Norcross Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 May 2015 at 13:09.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!