on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Norcross family come from? What is the English Norcross family crest and coat of arms? When did the Norcross family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Norcross family history?The Norcross surname is a habitational name taken on from a place near Blackpool; so named from Old English words "norš," meaning "north," and "cros," meaning "cross."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Norcross, Norcress, Northcross, Norecross and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the13th century when they held a family seat at Alston and Hothersale in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Norcross research. Another 271 words(19 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Norcross History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Norcross Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Norcross Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeremiah Norcross, who came to Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1642
- Jeremiah Norcross, who arrived in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1642
- John Norcross, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1642
- Nathaniel Norcross, who arrived in New England in 1643
- Nathaniel Norcross, who came to New England in 1643
Norcross Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benj Norcross, who settled in Philadelphia in 1822
- D. L. Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco in 1850
- D L Norcross, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- D C Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- T W Norcross, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Norcross Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Samuel Norcross, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1759
- Jonathan Norcross (1808-1898), American industrialist and politician, the fourth mayor of Atlanta
- Amasa Norcross (1824-1898), American lawyer and politician, U.S. Representative from Massachusetts
- Frank Norcross (1857-1926), American actor
- Fred Stevenson "Norky" Norcross (1884-1965), American college football player and coach
- Otis C. Norcross (1811-1882), American who served as the nineteenth Mayor of Boston
- Donald Norcross (b. 1958), American labor leader and Democratic Party politician
- David A. Norcross (b. 1937), American Republican Party politician
- Eleanor Norcross (1854-1923), American female artist in the 19th century
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Norcross Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Norcross Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 March 2015 at 11:12.
on orders of $85 or more