Nibbs History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Nibbs family
The surname Nibbs was first found in Somerset, where they held a family seat from early times.
Early History of the Nibbs family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nibbs research. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1377, 1604, 1734, 1746, 1787, 1640, 1711, 1650 and 1722 are included under the topic Early Nibbs History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nibbs Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Nibbs have been found, including Knibb, Knibbs, Knebb, Knibs, Nybbe, Nibb, Nibbs and others.
Early Notables of the Nibbs family (pre 1700)
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Nibbs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Nibbs migration to the United States ||+|
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Nibbs, or a variant listed above:
Nibbs Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Danll Nibbs, who arrived in Virginia in 1662 
- Richard Nibbs, aged 32, who landed in Virginia in 1684 
- Richard Nibbs, who arrived in Carolina in 1684
| Nibbs migration to Australia ||+|
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Nibbs Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Nibbs, aged 23, a farmer, who arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Olivia" 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Nibbs (post 1700) ||+|
- Richard Henry Nibbs (1816-1893), English painter and book illustrator who specialised in marine art
- Arthur Nibbs, Antigua and Barbuda politician
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- South Australian Register Tuesday 15 November 1853. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Olivia 1857. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/olivia1853.shtml.