The surname Neylon was derived from the Gaelic "O Niallain," which means "descendant of Niall."
Early Origins of the Neylon family
The surname Neylon was first found in County Clare
(Irish: An Clár) located on the west coast of Ireland
in the province of Munster.
Early History of the Neylon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Neylon research.Another 194 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1570 is included under the topic Early Neylon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Neylon Spelling Variations
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland
, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations
were revealed in the search for the origin of the name Neylon family name. Variations found include O'Neilan, O'Neylan, Neilan, Neylan, O'Nelan and others.
Early Notables of the Neylon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Neylon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Neylon family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Neylon:
Neylon Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Etta Neylon, aged 31, who arrived in America from Clare, in 1905
- John Neylon, aged 30, who arrived in America from Ennis, Ireland, in 1907
- Martin Neylon, aged 23, who arrived in America from Ennis, Ireland, in 1907
- Delia Neylon, aged 19, who arrived in America from Caherfinick, Ireland, in 1909
- Minnie Neylon, aged 18, who arrived in America from Lisconnor, Ireland, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Neylon Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Neylon, aged 25, who arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Standard" CITATION[CLOSE]
South Australian Register Monday 18th December 1854. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Standard 1854. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/standard1854.shtml
Contemporary Notables of the name Neylon (post 1700)
- Adam Neylon (b. 1984), American politician and business owner, Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly (2013-)
- Martin John Neylon, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Illinois 3rd District, 1938 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Francis G. Neylon (1921-1983), Irish flute player of Irish traditional music
- David Cameron Neylon, Australian advocate for open access and the Advocacy Director at the Public Library of Science