Newbigin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Newbigin surname is thought to be a habitational name taken on from any of several places so named in Northern England
and Southern Scotland.
Early Origins of the Newbigin family
The surname Newbigin was first found in Berwickshire
where the name is derived from the North England
and Scottish word for a building or house. "Hence the phrase 'new biggin' was and is applied to any considerable edifice recently constructed. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
One of the first recordings of the name was when "the vill and lands of Newbigging in the parish of Camwath, Lanarkshire
was passed into possession of the Somervilles through marriage with the daughter and heiress of Walter of Newbigging about middle of thirteenth century. Alan de Neubigging was one of twelve knights appointed in 1249 to meet twelve from Eng land to settle the law of the marches. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
Early History of the Newbigin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Newbigin research.Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1180 and 1367 are included under the topic Early Newbigin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Newbigin Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Newbigin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Newbigin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Newbigin family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Newbigin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Edmund Newbigin, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1832
Contemporary Notables of the name Newbigin (post 1700)
- Flora Newbigin (b. 1983), British Young Artist Award nominated actress
- Bishop James Edward Lesslie Newbigin (1909-1998), British theologian, Church of Scotland missionary
Newbigin Family Crest Products
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)