Murty History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the name Murty are thought to have come from the ancient Scottish kingdom of Dalriada. Murty was used to indicate someone who worked as a noted mariner or a sea captain.
Early Origins of the Murty family
The surname Murty was first found in on the isle of Bute, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Important Dates for the Murty family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Murty research. Another 103 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Murty History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Murty Spelling Variations
In the Middle Ages, the translation between Gaelic and English was not a highly developed process. Spelling was not yet standardized, and so, an enormous number of spelling variations appear in records of early Scottish names. Murty has appeared as MacCurdy, MacKirdy, MacKirdie, MacCurdie, MacQuartie, MacBararthy, MacBerarthy, MacWerarthy, MacMurtrie, MacMutrie and many more.
Early Notables of the Murty family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Murty Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Murty family to Ireland
Some of the Murty family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 94 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Murty migration to the United States
Many of the ancestors of Dalriadan families who arrived in North America still live in communities along the east coast of Canada and the United States. In the American War of Independence many of the original settlers traveled north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries the ancestors of many Scots began recovering their collective national heritage through Clan societies, highland games, and other patriotic events. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Murty or a variant listed above:
Murty Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Stephen Murty, who arrived in Maryland in 1670 
- Timothy Murty, who landed in Maryland in 1677 
Murty Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Murty, who landed in Illinois in 1856-1864 
Contemporary Notables of the name Murty (post 1700)
- Patrick Murty, American politician, Representative from New York 29th District, 1994 
- Anthony J. Murty, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 32nd District, 1984, 1986 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html