on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Mulholland family come from? What is the Irish Mulholland family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mulholland family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mulholland family history?There are many Irish surnames being used today in forms that are quite different than their original, ancient forms. Mulholland originally appeared in Gaelic as O hUallachain, which is derived from the word "uallach," which means "proud."
Many spelling variations of the surname Mulholland can be found in the archives. One reason for these variations is that ancient scribes and church officials recorded names as they were pronounced, often resulting in a single person being recorded under several different spellings. The different spellings that were found include Holohan, O'Holohan, Mulholland, Highland, Hoolohan, Houlihan, Hooligan, Whelton, Oulihan, Oulahen, Whoolahan and many more.
First found in Thomond (Irish: Tuadh Mumhan), literally North Thomond, the pre-Norman Kingdom of Thomond, since divided between counties Limerick, Tipperary and Clare, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mulholland research. Another 409 words(29 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mulholland History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mulholland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great mass of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century, seeking relief from various forms of social, religious, and economic discrimination. This Irish exodus was primarily to North America. If the migrants survived the long ocean journey, many unfortunately would find more discrimination in the colonies of British North America and the fledgling United States of America. These newly arrived Irish were, however, wanted as a cheap source of labor for the many large agricultural and industrial projects that were essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the western world. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the Mulholland name:
Mulholland Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Owen Mulholland, who arrived in Virginia in 1750
Mulholland Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Mulholland, who landed in New York in 1811
- Eleanor Mulholland, who arrived in New York in 1811
- George Mulholland, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Joseph Mulholland, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1812
- John Mulholland, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
Mulholland Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Charles Mulholland, aged 20, arrived in Quebec in 1833
- David Mulholland, aged 40, arrived in Quebec in 1834
- Hugh Mulholland, aged 24, arrived in St. John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- James Mulholland, aged 13, arrived in St. John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- Thomas Mulholland, aged 16, arrived in St. John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
Mulholland Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Peter Mulholland, English convict from Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Adamant" on March 16, 1821, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Robert Mulholland, aged 32, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Europa"
- David Mulholland, aged 24, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Amazon"
Mulholland Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Mulholland, aged 30, a nurse, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hurunui" in 1877
- Smylie Mulholland, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1878
- Margaret Mulholland, aged 20, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1878
- Alice Mulholland, aged 18, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1878
- William Mulholland, American water-services engineer in Southern California. The Los Angeles road, Mulholland Drive is named in his honor
- Patrick J Mulholland Ph.D.,, American scientist with the Environmental Sciences Division of Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Bob Mulholland, California Democratic Party senior advisor
- Robert Mulholland (b. 1838), Ontario businessman and political figure
- Gregory Thomas Mulholland (b. 1970), British politician
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Mulholland Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mulholland Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 March 2015 at 04:32.
on orders of $85 or more