Muldowney History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Origins Available: Irish
Gaelic, otherwise known as Early Modern Irish, was used in Ireland
from around the year 1200 until the 18th century. It is from this language that we found the first references to the name Muldowney as O Dúnadhaigh. The name is essentially derived from the word dún which means fort.
Early Origins of the Muldowney family
The surname Muldowney was first found in the twelfth century.
Early History of the Muldowney family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Muldowney research.Another 301 words (22 lines of text) covering the year 1420 is included under the topic Early Muldowney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Muldowney Spelling Variations
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland
, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations
were revealed in the search for the origin of the name Muldowney family name. Variations found include O'Downey, Dawney, MacDowney, MacEldowney, Muldowney and many more.
Early Notables of the Muldowney family (pre 1700)
Notable among the family name at this time was the O'Dunadhaigh sept found in Luchair, the old name of a region that lay on the borders of... Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Muldowney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Muldowney family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Muldowney:
Muldowney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Muldowney, who settled in America when he was 38
- John Muldowney, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- William Muldowney, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1896
- Brid. Muldowney, aged 20, who landed in America from Queenstown, in 1897
Muldowney Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sylvester J. Muldowney, aged 34, who emigrated to America from Dublin, in 1904
- Ellen Muldowney, aged 21, who settled in America from Swinford, Ireland, in 1905
- Mary Muldowney, aged 19, who settled in America from Swinford, Ireland, in 1907
- Sarah Muldowney, aged 19, who landed in America from Swinford, Ireland, in 1908
- Michael Muldowney, aged 1, who settled in America from Ballacolla, Ireland, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Muldowney Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Cornelius Muldowney, aged 21, a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Nugget" CITATION[CLOSE]
South Australian Register Tuesday 4th July 1854. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Nugget 1854. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/nugget1854.shtml.
Contemporary Notables of the name Muldowney (post 1700)
- Paul Muldowney, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Maryland 6th District, 1994; Candidate for Maryland State House of Delegates District 2-C, 1998 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 27) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Michael Joseph Muldowney (1889-1947), American politician, Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania
- Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney (b. 1940), born Shirley Ann Roque, American "First Lady of Drag Racing", winner of 18 NHRA national events
- Dominic Muldowney (b. 1952), British composer
Historic Events for the Muldowney family
- Master Joseph Muldowney (1912-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the explosion CITATION[CLOSE]
Halifax Explosion Book of Remembrance | Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. (Retrieved 2014, June 23) . Retrieved from https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/what-see-do/halifax-explosion/halifax-explosion-book-remembrance
Muldowney Family Crest Products
- ^ South Australian Register Tuesday 4th July 1854. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Nugget 1854. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/nugget1854.shtml.
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 27) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Halifax Explosion Book of Remembrance | Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. (Retrieved 2014, June 23) . Retrieved from https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/what-see-do/halifax-explosion/halifax-explosion-book-remembrance