from around the year 1200 until the 18th century. It is from this language that we found the first references to the name Muldowney as O Dúnadhaigh. The name is essentially derived from the word dún which means fort.
The surname Muldowney was first found in the twelfth century.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Muldowney research.Another 189 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1420 is included under the topic Early Muldowney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland
, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations
were revealed in the search for the origin of the name Muldowney family name. Variations found include O'Downey, Dawney, MacDowney, MacEldowney, Muldowney and many more.
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Muldowney:
Muldowney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Muldowney, who settled in America when he was 38
- John Muldowney, aged 27, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- William Muldowney, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1896
- Brid. Muldowney, aged 20, who landed in America from Queenstown, in 1897
Muldowney Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sylvester J. Muldowney, aged 34, who emigrated to America from Dublin, in 1904
- Ellen Muldowney, aged 21, who settled in America from Swinford, Ireland, in 1905
- Mary Muldowney, aged 19, who settled in America from Swinford, Ireland, in 1907
- Sarah Muldowney, aged 19, who landed in America from Swinford, Ireland, in 1908
- Michael Muldowney, aged 1, who settled in America from Ballacolla, Ireland, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Muldowney Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Cornelius Muldowney, aged 21, a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Nugget" CITATION[CLOSE]
South Australian Register Tuesday 4th July 1854. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Nugget 1854. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/nugget1854.shtml.