on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Mosby family come from? What is the Scottish Mosby family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mosby family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mosby family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moresby, Moorsby, Moriceby, Morrisby and others.
First found in Cumbria, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mosby research. Another 180 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1160, 1265, 1332, and 1471 are included under the topic Early Mosby History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 30 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mosby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mosby Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Mosby, who landed in Virginia in 1663
- John Singleton Mosby (1833-1916), nicknamed the "Gray Ghost", American Confederate cavalry battalion commander in the American Civil War, leader of the Mosby's Rangers or Mosby's Raiders
- Brigadier General Littleberry C. Mosby Jr. (1757-1821), American military officer during the American Revolutionary War
- Bernice Mosby (b. 1984), American WNBA professional basketball player
- Curtis J. Mosby (1888-1957), American jazz drummer, bandleader, and businessman
- Howard Mosby (b. 1961), American politician, Member of the Georgia House of Representatives
- Harold Mosby (1926-2007), English footballer
- Hakon Mosby, Norwegian meteorologist and oceanographer, eponym of Mosby Glacier, Antarctica
- Edward P. Mosby, English professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1900s
- Our Noble Heritage: The Mosby Family History by James H. Mosby.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Mosby Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mosby Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 March 2015 at 09:17.
on orders of $85 or more