Montijo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Montijo, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Montijo, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Montijo family originally lived in a mountainous region of that province. This local name was originally derived from the Spanish word monte, which means hill or wooded upland.
Early Origins of the Montijo family
The surname Montijo was first found in the Basque region of northern Spain in a hamlet near Berantevilla in Álava.
Early History of the Montijo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Montijo research. Another 194 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 128 and 1289 are included under the topic Early Montijo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Montijo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Montoya, de Montoya, Monte, Montes, de Montes, Móntez, Montez, Montero, Monteros, de los Monteros, Montecillo, Montejo, de Montejo, Mont, Montaña, Montana, Montaño and many more.
Early Notables of the Montijo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were seventeenth century Spanish writer Román Montero Espinosa; nineteenth century Colombian military officer José Manuel Montoya; nineteenth century Spanish bullfighter Francisco Montes, known as "Paquiro"; nineteenth century Bolivian politician Ismael Montes; nineteenth century Spanish composer Juan de Montes...
Another 43 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Montijo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Montijo migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Montijo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George Montijo, aged 48, who arrived in New York N.Y., in 1907
- Maria Montijo, aged 43, who arrived in America from Tarbeu, Spain, in 1920
- Alta M. Montijo, aged 27, who arrived in Long Beach, Cal., in 1920
- Vicenta Montijo, aged 16, who arrived in America from Tarbeu, Spain, in 1920
- Theraclia Montijo, aged 31, who arrived in New York, N.Y., in 1921
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Montijo (post 1700) +
- Luis Montijo (b. 1962), American professional baseball player
- Rhode Montijo, American independent comic-book artist
- Galilea Montijo (b. 1973), Mexican actress, show host, and comedian
- Eugénie de Montijo (1826-1920), the last Spanish Empress consort of the French from 1853 to 1871 as the wife of Napoleon III, Emperor of the French
Related Stories +