Montiel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Montiel, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Montiel, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Montiel family originally lived in a mountainous region of that province. This local name was originally derived from the Spanish word monte, which means hill or wooded upland.
Early Origins of the Montiel family
The surname Montiel was first found in the Basque region of northern Spain in a hamlet near Berantevilla in Álava.
Early History of the Montiel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Montiel research. Another 194 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 128 and 1289 are included under the topic Early Montiel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Montiel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Montoya, de Montoya, Monte, Montes, de Montes, Móntez, Montez, Montero, Monteros, de los Monteros, Montecillo, Montejo, de Montejo, Mont, Montaña, Montana, Montaño and many more.
Early Notables of the Montiel family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were seventeenth century Spanish writer Román Montero Espinosa; nineteenth century Colombian military officer José Manuel Montoya; nineteenth century Spanish bullfighter Francisco Montes, known as "Paquiro"; nineteenth century Bolivian politician Ismael Montes; nineteenth century Spanish composer Juan de Montes...
Another 43 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Montiel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Montiel is the 7,386th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
| Montiel migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Montiel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francisco De Montiel, who arrived in America in 1812 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Montiel (post 1700) ||+|
- Dito Montiel (b. 1965), born Orlandito Montiel, an American author, screenwriter, director and musician
- Sara Montiel (1928-2013), Spanish singer and actress
- Diego Armando Montiel (1996-2021), Argentine professional footballer who played as a midfielder
- Fernando Montiel Martínez (b. 1979), Mexican professional boxer
- José Arnulfo Montiel Núñez (b. 1988), Paraguayan football midfielder
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)