Monti History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Noble surnames, such as Monti, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Monti, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Monti family originally lived in a mountainous region of that province. This local name was originally derived from the Spanish word monte, which means hill or wooded upland.
Early Origins of the Monti family
The surname Monti was first found in the Basque region of northern Spain in a hamlet near Berantevilla in Álava.
Early History of the Monti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Monti research. Another 194 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 128 and 1289 are included under the topic Early Monti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Monti Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Montoya, de Montoya, Monte, Montes, de Montes, Móntez, Montez, Montero, Monteros, de los Monteros, Montecillo, Montejo, de Montejo, Mont, Montaña, Montana, Montaño and many more.
Early Notables of the Monti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were seventeenth century Spanish writer Román Montero Espinosa; nineteenth century Colombian military officer José Manuel Montoya; nineteenth century Spanish bullfighter Francisco Montes, known as "Paquiro"; nineteenth century Bolivian politician Ismael Montes; nineteenth century Spanish composer Juan de Montes...
Another 43 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Monti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Monti is the 8,454th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in France, the name Monti is ranked the 4,813rd most popular surname with an estimated 1,500 - 2,000 people with that name. 
Monti migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Monti Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Antoni Monti, who landed in New York, NY in 1836 
- Bernard Monti, aged 25, who arrived in Missouri in 1845 
- F Monti, aged 24, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1849 
- C Monti, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Monti (post 1700) +
- Carlo Monti (1920-2016), Italian two-time bronze medalist 100 meters runner
- Vincenzo Monti (1754-1828), Italian poet
- Monti L. Belot (b. 1943), American politician, U.S. District Judge for Kansas, 1991-
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)