Mixson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Mixson family
The surname Mixson was first found in Suffolk where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of lands in that shire Siward Mocesun, a Norman noble who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086. He also held at Bury. He was of Calvados in Normandy.
Early History of the Mixson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mixson research. Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1499, 1627, 1691 and 1678 are included under the topic Early Mixson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mixson Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moxon, Mockson, Moxom, Moxsom, Moxson, Mokeson, Moakson, Mokson and many more.
Early Notables of the Mixson family (pre 1700)
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mixson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Mixson is the 12,372nd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Mixson migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mixson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Janos Mixson, aged 16, who immigrated to the United States from Kelcse, in 1901
- William H. Mixson, aged 52, who landed in America, in 1913
- Ashley St. J. Mixson, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1913
|Contemporary Notables of the name Mixson (post 1700) ||+|
- John Wayne Mixson (1922-2020), American politician, 39th Governor of the U.S. state of Florida
- Tee Jay Mixson, American actor, best known for his role in The Trace (2012)
- Mark Mixson, American actor, best known for his role in Thin Ice (1981)
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/