Minster History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Minster family
The surname Minster was first found in Cornwall where the family derive their name from Minster, a parish in the deanery of Trigg-Minor, and in the hundred of Lesnewth.
"The word Minster whatever might have been its primitive signification, has been used from time immemorial to import a monastry for Monks, a retired, solitary, religious people, who used artificial music during divine service. Consonant with this import, it appears both from Speed and Dugdale, that at Tolcarne, which signifies the rock chapel or cell, William de Bottreaux about the time of Richard I. founded and endowed an alien priory of black Monks," 
Early History of the Minster family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Minster research. Another 104 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1189, 1575, 1610, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Minster History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Minster Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Minster, Minsterchamber and others.
Early Notables of the Minster family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Minster Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Minster migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Minster Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Minster, who arrived in Maryland in 1666
- John Minster, who landed in Maryland in 1666 
- James Minster, who arrived in Virginia in 1673
Minster Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Minster, who settled in Baltimore in 1831
Contemporary Notables of the name Minster (post 1700) +
- Nicolette Minster, American actress, known for her work in A Cry in the Dark (1988), Neighbours (1985) and Pugwall (1989)
- Nina Minster (b. 1969), American makeup artist from Burbank, California
- Barbara Minster, American Primetime Emmy Award winning makeup artist, known for her work in Knots Landing (1979), Star Trek: The Motion Picture Red Corner (1997) and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman (1993)
- Hilary Minster (1944-1999), English actor, known for his roles in 'Allo 'Allo (1982), A Bridge Too Far (1977) and Cry Freedom (1987)
Related Stories +
- ^ Hutchins, Fortescue, The History of Cornwall, from the Earliest Records and Traditions to the Present Time. London: William Penaluna, 1824. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)