Min History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Min family
The surname Min was first found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), where the first record of the family was the singular Minna, listed here in the Assize Rolls of 1202. Over one hundred years later, Gostelynus Mynne was found in the Subsidy Rolls of Suffolk in 1327. 
"This surname is derived from the name of an ancestor. 'the son of Min.' There is some evidence in favour of an old personal name Min, which was probably a nick. Minnie is still used as a girl's pet name for Emmeline. " 
Another researcher agrees: "This series seems to point to Minn, (the same as Mynn) as an ancient personal name." 
Early History of the Min family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Min research. Another 217 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1492, 1609, 1642, 1665, 1541, 1595, 1748, 1793, 1094, 1184, 1558, 1625, 1666, 1666, 1665, 1623, 1429, 1585, 1599, 1671, 1549, 1550, 1563, 1564, 1571, 1572, 1587, 1588, 1608, 1598, 1817, 1615 and 1603 are included under the topic Early Min History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Min Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Minn, Minns, Mynn, Mynns, Myn, Min, Mynne, Menne, Minnes, Ming, Ming, Mink, Menn, Mence, Minne, Meny, Mynne, Meene, Mean and many more.
Early Notables of the Min family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir Christopher Myngs (1625-1666), English Admiral and pirate who came of a Norfolk family. It "is said by Pepys to have been of very humble origin, ‘his father being always, and at this day, a shoemaker, and his mother, a hoyman's daughter, of which he was used frequently to boast’ (Diary, 13 June 1666; cf. 26 Oct. 1665). This is certainly exaggerated, if not entirely false. His parents were of well-to-do families in the north of Norfolk. His father, John Myngs, though described in the register of Salthouse, where he was married on 28 Sept...
Another 315 words (22 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Min Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Min is the 12,374th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Min migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Min Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Min, aged 22, who arrived in Virginia in 1635 
- Patrick Min, who arrived in Virginia in 1666 
Min migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Min Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Helen Min, aged 21, a farm servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Joseph Soames" 
- Helen Min, aged 21, a servant, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Joseph Somes" in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Min (post 1700) +
- Min Sheldon, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1984 
Related Stories +
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) JOSEPH SOMES / SOAMES 1850. Retrieved http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1850JosephSomes.htm
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) JOSEPH SOMES / SOAMES 1850. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1850JosephSomes.htm
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, April 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html