100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Mims family come from? What is the English Mims family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mims family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mims family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Minn, Minns, Mynn, Mynns, Myn, Min, Mynne, Menne, Minnes, Ming, Ming, Mink, Menn, Mence, Minne, Meny, Mynne, Meene, Mean and many more.
First found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1202 when Minna held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mims research. Another 385 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1492, 1st , 1609, 1642, 1665, 1455, 1487, 1094, 1184, 1558, 15b), 1625, 1666, 1599 and 1671 are included under the topic Early Mims History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 43 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mims Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mims Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Tho Mims, who arrived in Virginia in 1657
Mims Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hendrick Mims, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1755
- Samule Mims, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1787
Mims Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- T V Mims, aged 26, landed in Key West, Fla in 1842
Mims Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfred Mims, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Liverpool England, in 1911
- Reuben Mims, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- Samuel Mims, aged 56, who landed in America, in 1922
- Frederick B. Mims, aged 68, who settled in America from London, England, in 1922
- David James Mims (b. 1970), former American football wide receiver
- Dennis Mims (b. 1980), American professional basketball player
- Anthony Mims (b. 1992), American football cornerback
- Holley Mims (1929-1970), highly-regarded American middleweight boxer
- Ernest Christopher Mims (b. 1932), American television broadcaster
- Donna Mae Mims (1927-2009), American race car driver
- Ralph Mims (b. 1985), American professional basketball player
- Livingston Mims (1833-1906), American politician
- D. Jeffrey Mims (b. 1954), American painter and muralist
- John F. Mims (1815-1856), American politician, sixth mayor of Atlanta
- Our Mother's People by Marie Doan Enderton.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
The Mims Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mims Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 February 2015 at 22:35.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!