100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Mims family come from? What is the English Mims family crest and coat of arms? When did the Mims family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Mims family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Minn, Minns, Mynn, Mynns, Myn, Min, Mynne, Menne, Minnes, Ming, Ming, Mink, Menn, Mence, Minne, Meny, Mynne, Meene, Mean and many more.
First found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1202 when Minna held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mims research. Another 385 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1492, 1st , 1609, 1642, 1665, 1455, 1487, 1094, 1184, 1558, 15b), 1625, 1666, 1599 and 1671 are included under the topic Early Mims History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 43 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mims Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mims Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Tho Mims, who arrived in Virginia in 1657
Mims Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hendrick Mims, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1755
- Samule Mims, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1787
Mims Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- T V Mims, aged 26, landed in Key West, Fla in 1842
Mims Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfred Mims, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Liverpool England, in 1911
- Reuben Mims, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- Samuel Mims, aged 56, who landed in America, in 1922
- Frederick B. Mims, aged 68, who settled in America from London, England, in 1922
- William Cleveland "Bill" Mims (b. 1957), former American Attorney General of Virginia
- Christopher Eddie Mims (1970-2008), American football defensive end
- Leland Garland Mims (1901-1979), as an American, Louisiana, businessman and civic leader
- John F. Mims (1815-1856), American politician, sixth mayor of Atlanta
- D. Jeffrey Mims (b. 1954), American painter and muralist
- Livingston Mims (1833-1906), American politician
- Ralph Mims (b. 1985), American professional basketball player
- Donna Mae Mims (1927-2009), American race car driver
- Ernest Christopher Mims (b. 1932), American television broadcaster
- Holley Mims (1929-1970), highly-regarded American middleweight boxer
- Our Mother's People by Marie Doan Enderton.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
The Mims Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mims Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 February 2015 at 22:35.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!