Million History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The original Gaelic form of Million was O Mainnin.
Early Origins of the Million family
The surname Million was first found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island.
Early History of the Million family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Million research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Million History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Million Spelling Variations
Names during the Middle Ages were often recorded under several different spelling variations during the life of their bearers. Literacy was rare at that time and so how a person's name was recorded was decided by the individual scribe. Variations of the name Million include Mannion, O'Mannin, O'Mannion, Mannyan, Mennon and many more.
Early Notables of the Million family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Million Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Million is the 7,260th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name.  However, in France, the name Million is ranked the 2,540th most popular surname with an estimated 2,500 - 3,000 people with that name. 
Migration of the Million family
The English-ruled Ireland of the late 18th and 19th centuries featured a rapidly increasing population and an agricultural-based economy. This combination proved to be disastrous in the 1840s after a couple of failed potato harvests. Thousands died of disease and starvation, and thousands more left the country, often bound for North America. Those that survived the journey to North America were put to work building the bridges, canals, roadways, and railways needed for the development of an industrial society. Those Irish, although often despised by those already established in North American cities and towns, played an instrumental role in making Canada and the United States the powerful and wealthy nations that they are today. An examination of early immigration and passenger lists has shown many immigrants bearing the name Million: Mary Mannon, who settled in New England in 1721; as well as Edward, James, John and Patrick Manion, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860..
Contemporary Notables of the name Million (post 1700) +
- Tiffany Million (b. 1966), born Sandra Lee Schwab, American former professional wrestler
- Joseph R. Million, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kansas, 1944 
- H. L. Million, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Tennessee, 1948 
- Mrs. Guy Million, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1924 
- Elmer Zen Million, American politician, Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Oklahoma, 2002 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html