Middle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Middle family
The surname Middle was first found in Shropshire at Middle, alternately spelt Myddle, Mydle, Midle, M'dle, Meadley and Medle, a parish, in the union of Ellesmere, partly in the liberties of Shrewsbury, but chiefly in the hundred of Pimhill.  Myddle Castle was built here c. 1308 by Lord John Le Strange but it fell into ruin and collapsed during the earthquake of 1688. One of the first records of the name was Richard le Midel who was listed in Oxfordshire in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273.  Simon atte Middele was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Somerset in 1327. 
Early History of the Middle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Middle research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1270 and 1327 are included under the topic Early Middle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Middle Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Middle, Middel, Midel, Mittel, Mittle, Middleho, Midelho, Mideleho, Middlehough, Midler, Middler, Midlar and many more.
Early Notables of the Middle family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Middle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Middle migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Middle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- J. Middle, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Johannes Middle, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1729 
Contemporary Notables of the name Middle (post 1700) +
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)