Merr History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Merr family
The surname Merr was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Merr family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Merr research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1842, 1632, 1675, 1628, 1691, 1659, 1700, 1656 and 1705 are included under the topic Early Merr History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Merr Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Meer, Meere, Mer, Mere, Meeres, Meers, Meres, Mers, Meerr, Merr, Merrs and many more.
Early Notables of the Merr family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Jan Vermeer (1632-1675), also called Jan van der Meer van Delft, a renowned Dutch painter; Jan Vermeer van Haarlem the Elder (1628-1691), a...
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Merr Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Merr migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Merr Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Merr, who landed in Virginia in 1652 
Merr Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Merr, who arrived in America in 1831 
Contemporary Notables of the name Merr (post 1700) +
- B. H. Merr, American politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Virginia, 1928 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html