on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Menefee family come from? What is the English Menefee family crest and coat of arms? When did the Menefee family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Menefee family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Minifie, Minifee, Minnifee, Minnifie, Minifey, Minnifey, Mennafee, Menifey, Menifie, Mennifie, Menefee, Menafee, Minafie and many more.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century where they held estates and held a family seat at Honiton in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Menefee research. Another 328 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Menefee History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Menefee Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Menefee Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Menefee, aged 44, who emigrated to the United States, in 1892
Menefee Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Speed Menefee, aged 26, who settled in America, in 1905
- Edith Menefee, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1906
- Jannie Menefee, who landed in America, in 1909
- Cecil Menefee, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1922
- Charles Menefee, aged 47, who emigrated to America, in 1924
- David Wayne Menefee, American writer
- John "Jock" Menefee (1868-1953), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1892 to 1903
- Curt Menefee (b. 1965), American sportscaster, host of the Fox network's NFL show Fox NFL Sunday
- Richard Hickman Menefee (1809-1841), American Representative from Kentucky
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Menefee Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Menefee Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 October 2014 at 23:33.
on orders of $85 or more