Meloy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Meloy family
The surname Meloy was first found in Ile-de-France, at Mellun, a commune in the Seine-et-Marne department. One of the first records of the name was Robert of Melun (c. 1100-1167), an English-born, scholastic Christian theologian who taught in Mellun, France. Little is known of him other than he studied under Peter Abelard and Hugh of St. Victor at the University of Paris and by 1137, he was a teacher in the school on Mont Ste-Genevieve. He was later involved in the Council of Reims in 1148. After teaching in Paris for 40 years, he was recalled to England by King Henry II in 1160, and was appointed Bishop of Hereford in 1163.
Important Dates for the Meloy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Meloy research. Another 185 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1302, 1465, 1634, 1721, 1598 and 1688 are included under the topic Early Meloy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Meloy Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Melun, Mellun, Mellon, Melon, Meluns, Melluns, Melune, Melunes, Mellune and many more.
Early Notables of the Meloy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Meloy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Meloy migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Meloy Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- James Meloy, who arrived in Maryland in 1678 
Meloy Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Meloy, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1773 
Meloy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Meloy, aged 49, who landed in New York, NY in 1812 
- John Meloy, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1816 
- Thomas Meloy, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1855 
- Charles Meloy, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1856 
Contemporary Notables of the name Meloy (post 1700)
- Brigadier-General Vincent J. Meloy (1895-1960), American Commanding General Truax Field, Wisconsin (1944-1946) 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Generals of World War II. (Retrieved 2013, May 9) Vincent Meloy. Retrieved from http://generals.dk/general/Meloy/Vincent_J./USA.html