Medill History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Medill family
The surname Medill was first found in Northampton where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Important Dates for the Medill family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Medill research. Another 129 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Medill History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Medill Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Maydwell, Maidwell, Maidell, Maydell, Maidenwell, Maydenwell, Maidenwall, Maydwall, Maydall, Maidall, Medwell, Madell, Medell, Meadwell and many more.
Early Notables of the Medill family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Medill Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Medill family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Medill (post 1700)
- William Medill (1802-1865), American Democrat politician, Member of Ohio State Legislature; U.S. Representative from Ohio 9th District, 1839-43; Lieutenant Governor of Ohio, 1852-53; Governor of Ohio, 1853-56; Defeated, 1855 
- Thomas J. Medill Jr., American politician, Mayor of Rock Island, Illinois, 1893-95, 1897-99 
- Lillian Medill, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kansas, 1960 
- Joseph Medill (1823-1899), American politician, Mayor of Chicago, Illinois, 1871-73 
- Joseph Medill Patterson (1879-1946), American politician, Member of Illinois State House of Representatives, 1903; Editor of the Chicago Tribune, 1910-25
- Joseph Medill McCormick (1877-1925), American Republican politician, Member of Illinois State Legislature; U.S. Representative from Illinois 1st District, 1917-19; U.S. Senator from Illinois, 1919-25 
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 16) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html