McMicken History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The McMicken surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Mac Miadhachàin, a patronymic name meaning son of Miadhachàin, the root word of which is "miadhach," meaning "honourable."
Early Origins of the McMicken family
The surname McMicken was first found in Galloway, and in Ayrshire.
Important Dates for the McMicken family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McMicken research. Another 171 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1185, 1300, 1426, 1513, 1540, 1671, 1684, 1700, and 1839 are included under the topic Early McMicken History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McMicken Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Macmeekin, Mackmeeken, Macmeekin, Macmeikin, Mackmeiken, Macmeikin, Mackmeckan, Machmichan, Macmickan, Mackicken, Macmicking, Macmikan, Macmicken, Macmikin, Macmychen, Macmeecham, Mcmeekin, Mckmeeken, Mcmeekin, Mcmeikin, Mcmeikin, Mcmeckan, Mcmichan, Mcmickan, Mckicken, Mcmicking, Mcmikan, Mcmicken, Mcmikin, Mcmychen, Mcmeecham and many more.
Early Notables of the McMicken family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McMicken Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McMicken family to Ireland
Some of the McMicken family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McMicken migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McMicken Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elenora McMicken, aged 25, who arrived in New York in 1774 
- James McMicken, aged 4, who landed in New York, NY in 1775 
- Janet McMicken, aged 21, who arrived in New York, NY in 1775 
- William McMicken, aged 25, who landed in New York, NY in 1775 
- Alexander McMicken, aged 23, who landed in New York, NY in 1775 
Contemporary Notables of the name McMicken (post 1700)
- Charles McMicken (1782-1858), American businessman and benefactor to the University of Cincinnati, eponym of the McMicken College of Arts and Sciences
- Gilbert McMicken (1813-1891), British-born immigrant to Canada in 1832; Canadian businessman and politician, Member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba for Cartier (1879-1883)
- Alexander McMicken (1837-1916), Canadian politician, 6th Mayor of Winnipeg in 1883, eponym of McMicken Street in Winnipeg
Historic Events for the McMicken family
- Mr. Arthur McMicken, aged 23, English Saloon Steward from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking by escaping in life boat 11 
- Mr. Benjamin Tucker McMicken (d. 1912), aged 21, English Second Pantry Steward from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Titanic Passenger List - Titanic Facts. (Retrieved 2016, July 13) . Retrieved from http://www.titanicfacts.net/titanic-passenger-list.html