McKendree History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Picts were the ancient Scottish tribe where the ancestors of the McKendree family lived. The name McKendree comes from the personal name Henry.
Early Origins of the McKendree family
The surname McKendree was first found in Fife, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the McKendree family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McKendree research. Another 106 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1183, 1282, 1700, 1685 and are included under the topic Early McKendree History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McKendree Spelling Variations
Before the first dictionaries appeared in the last few hundred years, scribes spelled according to sound. spelling variations are common among Scottish names. McKendree has been spelled Hendry, Hendrie, MacHendry, MacHendrick, MacKendrick and many more.
Early Notables of the McKendree family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McKendree Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McKendree family to Ireland
Some of the McKendree family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 76 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McKendree family
In those unstable times, many had no choice but to leave their beloved homelands. Sickness and poverty hounded travelers to North America, but those who made it were welcomed with land and opportunity. These settlers gave the young nations of Canada and the United States a strong backbone as they stood up for their beliefs as United Empire Loyalists and in the American War of Independence. In this century, the ancestors of these brave Scots have begun to recover their illustrious heritage through Clan societies and other heritage organizations. Early passenger and immigration lists reveal many Scottish settlers bearing the name McKendree: Daniel and James Hendrie arrived in Philadelphia in 1858; Joe Hendry settled in Virginia in 1635; Thomas Hendry settled in Barbados in 1669; Robert Hendry settled in New Hampshire in 1719.
Contemporary Notables of the name McKendree (post 1700)
- Kevin McKendree (b. 1969), American electric blues pianist, keyboardist, guitarist, singer, and songwriter
- Fran McKendree, American musician and founder of McKendree Spring, a progressive folk-rock band
- Tom McKendree, American NASA engineer who developed the McKendree cylinder, a type of hypothetical rotating space habitat
- William McKendree (1757-1835), American Methodist Bishop, the 4th Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church
- William McKendree Morgan (1869-1942), American Democrat politician, Member of Idaho State House of Representatives, 1897-99, 1911-13; Mayor of Moscow, Idaho, 1906-08 
- William McKendree Gwin (1805-1885), American physician and politician, United States Senator from California (1850-1855) and (1857-1861)
- Edward McKendree Bounds (1835-1835), American clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, author of eleven books
- William McKendree Springer (1836-1903), United States Representative from Illinois
- David McKendree Key (1824-1900), American Senator and U.S. Postmaster General
- William McKendree Carleton (1845-1912), Irish novelist
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html