McGorman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Many variations of the name McGorman have evolved since the time of its initial creation. In Gaelic it appeared as Mac Gormain, derived from the word "gorm," which means "blue."
Early Origins of the McGorman family
The surname McGorman was first found in County Clare, where O'Gorman was chief of Tullichrin, a territory comprising parts of the baronies of Moyarta and Ibrackan. They claim descendancy through the O'Connor pedigree, specifically through Daire, a younger brother of Ros Failgeach. He was the second son of Mor, the King of Leinster and the 109th Monarch of Ireland. The family were the Chiefs of Ibrckan in County Claire.  The Mac (Mc) prefix is rarely found today due to the fact that in the early nineteenth century native Irish "were in complete subjection." 
Important Dates for the McGorman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McGorman research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1172 are included under the topic Early McGorman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGorman Spelling Variations
Pronunciation, rather than spelling, guided scribes and church officials when recording names during the Middle Ages. This practice often resulted in one person's name being recorded under several different spellings. Numerous spelling variations of the surname McGorman are preserved in these old documents. The various spellings of the name that were found include Gorman, MacGorman, O'Gorman and others.
Early Notables of the McGorman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McGorman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGorman migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
McGorman Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Fanny McGorman, aged 21, a farm servant, who arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Europa" 
Contemporary Notables of the name McGorman (post 1700)
- Jim McGorman (b. 1974), American musician, songwriter/producer and multi- instrumentalist
- Brian R. McGorman, Canadian First Vice President, Investment Advisor, CIBC Wood Gundy
You May Also Like
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigrees 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- ^ South Australian Register Monday 14th May 1855. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) Europa 1855. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/europa1855.shtml