McGillis History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The west coast of Scotland and the rocky Hebrides islands are the ancient home of the McGillis family. The root of their name is a devotion to Christianity. The Gaelic form of the name is M'A'Lios, which is a shortened form of Mac Giolla Iosa, meaning son of the servant of Jesus.
Early Origins of the McGillis family
The surname McGillis was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early rolls taken by the Kings of England and Scotland.
Early History of the McGillis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McGillis research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McGillis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGillis Spelling Variations
Spelling variations were extremely common in medieval names, since scribes from that era recorded names according to sound rather than a standard set of rules. McGillis has appeared in various documents spelled MacLeish, MacCleish, MacLise, MacLish, MacGillies, MacGleish, MacGillis, MacLeash and many more.
Early Notables of the McGillis family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McGillis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGillis migration to the United States +
Ancestors of many of the Dalriadan families who crossed the Atlantic still live along the east coast of the United States and Canada. Some Scottish settlers arrived in Canada during the American War of Independence as United Empire Loyalists, while others stayed south to fight for a new nation. The descendants of Scottish settlers in both countries began to rediscover their heritage in the 19th and 20th centuries through Clan societies and highland games. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name McGillis or a variant listed above:
McGillis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- George and Catherine McGillis, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1773
- Donald McGillis, who arrived in New York in 1773 
- George McGillis, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1773 
- John McGillis, who arrived in New York in 1773 
McGillis migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McGillis Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Donald McGillis Jr., U.E. who settled in Eastern District, Charlottesburgh [South Glengarry], Ontario c. 1784 
- Lieut. John McGillis Sr., U.E. who settled in Eastern District, Charlottesburgh [South Glengarry], Ontario c. 1784 he served in Captain Talloway's Company of Highland Volunteers, became a blacksmith 
Contemporary Notables of the name McGillis (post 1700) +
- Kelly Ann McGillis (b. 1957), American Golden Globe nominated actress, best known for her roles in Top Gun, The Accused, and Witness
- John D. McGillis, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Michigan State Senate 12th District, 1936; Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from Michigan 17th District, 1938 
- Tom McGillis, Canadian Screen Award and Gemini Award nominated producer and writer
- Daniel Stewart "Dan" McGillis (b. 1972), retired Canadian professional NHL ice hockey defenceman who played 1996 to 2010
- Angus McGillis (1874-1944), Canadian farmer and politician on Ontario who represented Glengarry in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 1926 to 1929
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 14) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html