on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Irish McCloskey family come from? What is the Irish McCloskey family crest and coat of arms? When did the McCloskey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McCloskey family history?The McCloskey surname evolved from the Irish Gaelicnames O Cathain or Mac Cathain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: McCloskey, McCluskey, McClaskey, McCloskie, McLoskie, McCleskey and many more.
First found in County Londonderry (Irish: Doire), a Northern Irish county also known as Derry, in the province of Ulster, where they were a branch of the O'Kanes.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCloskey research. Another 398 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 1196, 1617, 1720, 1790, 1810, 1875, and 1885 are included under the topic Early McCloskey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McCloskey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McCloskey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Patt McCloskey, who arrived in America in 1805
- Charles McCloskey, who landed in America in 1812
- Eliza McCloskey, aged 30, landed in New York, NY in 1833
- James McCloskey, aged 25, landed in New York, NY in 1833
- Jane McCloskey, aged 28, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1833
McCloskey Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Ann McCloskey, aged 19, arrived in St John, New Brunswick in 1833
- Elenor McCloskey, aged 22, arrived in Quebec in 1833
- Grace McCloskey, aged 25, arrived in Quebec in 1833
- John McCloskey, aged 25, landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1833
- Ritchard McCloskey, aged 18, landed in Quebec in 1833
McCloskey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Michael McCloskey (aged 22) arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Aurora"
- James Ellwood "Irish" McCloskey (1910-1971), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played one season with the Atlanta Braves in 1936
- William George McCloskey (1854-1924), American Major League Baseball who played from one year in 1884
- William George McCloskey (1823-1909), American Catholic priest, Bishop of Louisville, Kentucky
- John McCloskey (1810-1885), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, Archbishop of New York (1864 until his death in 1885), the first American cardinal
- Delamere Francis McCloskey (1897-1983), Canadian-born, American lawyer who represented the 1st District on the Los Angeles City Council from 1941 to 1945
- Deirdre N. McCloskey (b. 1942), American Professor of Economics, History, English, and Communication at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Francis Xavier "Frank" McCloskey (1939-2003), Democratic representative from Indiana
- Robert McCloskey (1914-2003), American author and illustrator of children's books
- John William "Jack" McCloskey (b. 1925), former American National Basketball Association player, coach, and executive
- Robert McCloskey (1922-1996), American Diplomat and US State Department Spokesman
- McClaskeys in Military History by Kenneth L. McClaskey.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The McCloskey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCloskey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 January 2016 at 09:47.
on orders of $85 or more