Maudesley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Of all the Anglo-Saxon names to come from Britain, Maudesley is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in the settlement of Mawdesley in the county of Lancashire. The surname Maudesley belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Maudesley family
The surname Maudesley was first found in Lancashire at Mawdesley, a township, in the parish of Croston, union of Chorley, hundred of Leyland. "Adam de Mawdesley was a ward of the duchy of Lancaster in the reign of Edward III.; Robert Mawdesley, the last of this ancient family, was living at Mawdesley Hall about 1760. " 
Early History of the Maudesley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Maudesley research. Another 68 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Maudesley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maudesley Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Maudesley has been spelled many different ways, including Mawdesley, Maudesley, Maudsley and others.
Early Notables of the Maudesley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Maudesley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maudesley migration to the United States +
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Maudesleys to arrive in North America:
Maudesley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Henry Maudesley, who settled in Boston in 1635
Maudesley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Maudesley, who settled in Philadelphia in 1852
Maudesley migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Maudesley Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Maudesley, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Moffatt" in 1839 
- Elizabeth Maudesley, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Moffatt" in 1839 
- Thomas Maudesley, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Moffatt" in 1839 
- Henrietta Maudesley, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Moffatt" in 1839 
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) MOFFATT 1839. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1839Moffatt.htm