As with many French family names, the distinguished surname Matteo is rich in ancient heritage. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames
in France were the patronymic
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The name Matteo is derived from the Hebrew
Biblical given name Matityahu (Matthew), meaning gift of God.
Early Origins of the Matteo family
The surname Matteo was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France where the family has held a family seat
since early times.
The earliest member of this family was recorded under the name of Mathieu de Vendôme, who died in 1286, and was the Abbot of St. Denis, and was the Regent of France when Saint Louis was on a crusade. The family branched out into: Lyonnais, where they were known as the Mathieu of Mathieu; to Alsace where they settled at Faviers and where they were the Barons Mathieu; to Ile de France where they held a family seat at Mauvieres and were Barons of the Empire in 1810; and to Comtes when they held a family seat at Rouergue and held the title of Count de la Redorte. The Mathieu family from Bourgogne, which originated from Nivernais, goes back to the time when Pierre Mathieu was living, at the end of the fifteenth century.
Among his descendants were: Hugues, an Elect of Charollais in 1682; Christophe J. A. Mathieu de Dombasle, an agronomist from the province of Lorraine, who invented a certain type of plow; David-Maurice-Joseph Mathieu, a General who was later made a Count of the Empire in 1810; Joseph-Ignace Mathieu de Mauvières, Mayor of Saint-Forget, who was named a Baron of the Empire in 1810; and Philippe Mathieu, 1808-1865, a politician and meteorologist.
Early History of the Matteo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Matteo research.Another 33 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1286, 1682, 1808, 1810, and 1865 are included under the topic Early Matteo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Matteo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Mathieu, Mathieue, Mathieues, Mathieus, Mathieux, Mathis, Matieu, Matieue, Mathius, Matieues, Matieus, Matieux, Mathioux, Mathioue and many more.
Early Notables of the Matteo family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Matteo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Matteo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Matteo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Aynese Matteo, who arrived on the SS Vincenzo Florio from Palermo in New York City in 1881
Contemporary Notables of the name Matteo (post 1700)
- Ernesto Matteo Poggi (1913-1992), Italian footballer and coach
- Giuseppe Matteo Alberti (1685-1751), Italian composer and violinist
- Matteo Gavi, Italian actor, known for The Teacher (2005) and La Cena (2007)
- Matteo Negrini (b. 1982), Italian footballer
- Matteo Andreini (b. 1981), San Marinese footballer
- Matteo Cozzani, Italian politician, Mayor of Porto Venere, Italy
- Matteo Ceccarini (b. 1972), Italian DJ, composer and sound designer
- Matteo Giordano (b. 1984), Italian footballer
- Matteo Maffucci (b. 1978), Italian musician, half of the pop rock duo Zero Assoluto
- Matteo Ferrari (b. 1979), Italian footballer
Matteo Family Crest Products