on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Italian, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Manuel family come from? What is the Spanish Manuel family crest and coat of arms? When did the Manuel family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Manuel family history?In Spain, the earliest forms of hereditary surnames were patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Similar to many Spanish patronymic names, the distinguished surname Manuel is a proud sign of a rich and ancient ancestry having derived from the Hebrew personal name Imanuel, which means God is with us.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Manuel, Manueles and others.
First found in Castile, one of the most important Christian kingdoms of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Manuel research. Another 413 words(30 lines of text) covering the years 1282 and 1349 are included under the topic Early Manuel History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 36 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Manuel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Diego Manuel, who sailed to Dominican Republic in 1535
- Juan Manuel sailed to Florida in 1563
- Inés Manuel sailed to Peru in 1576
- Luis Manuel sailed to Peru in 1592
Manuel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joaquin Manuel, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1803
- David Manuel, aged 46, arrived in New York in 1812
- John Manuel, who landed in New York in 1822
- Jarora Manuel, aged 22, landed in New Orleans, La in 1825
- Chas Manuel, aged 35, landed in New Orleans, La in 1829
Manuel Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Elisha Manuel arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Constance" in 1848
- Thomas Manuel, aged 23, a blacksmith, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Jacob Manuel, aged 35, a blacksmith, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Thomas Arbuthnot"
- Nicholas Manuel, aged 38, a miner, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Marion"
- John Manuel, aged 18, a copperminer, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Marion"
- Robert Mehmet Manuel (b. 1983), American professional baseball relief pitcher
- Charles Fuqua Manuel Jr. (b. 1944), former American Major League Baseball player
- Nikolaus Manuel (1484-1530), Swiss painter
- Peter Manuel (1931-1958), Scottish criminal perpetrator
- Odell Manuel (b. 1978), former New Zealand rugby league player
- Louis Pierre Manuel (1751-1793), French writer and political figure of the Revolution
- Richard George Manuel (1943-1986), Canadian composer, singer, and multi-instrumentalist
- Trevor Andrew Manuel (b. 1956), South African politician
- Jay Manuel (b. 1972), Canadian make-up artist, fashion photographer, and model
- Miss Ellen Manuel (1917-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the Halifax Explosion on 6th December 1917
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Manuel Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Manuel Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:21.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more