Maes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Maes family
The surname Maes was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands
. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Maes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Maes research.Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1664, 1514, 1573, 1634 and 1693 are included under the topic Early Maes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Maes Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Maestas, Maes, Maest, Mesta, Maests, Maest, Maess and many more.
Early Notables of the Maes family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Maes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Maes family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Maes Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Philip Maes who settled in New York in 1709
Maes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adolf Maes, aged 49, who emigrated to the United States from Breslan, in 1892
- Adam Maes, aged 47, who emigrated to America, in 1895
Maes Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfons Maes, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Lootenhulle, Begium, in 1913
- Adirian Maes, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1919
- Albert Maes, who landed in America from Belgium, in 1920
- Adruaaie Maes, aged 43, who landed in America, in 1923
- Albert Maes, aged 52, who settled in America, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Maes (post 1700)
- Camillus Paul Maes (1846-1915), Belgian-born, American bishop
- Brian Maes (b. 1956), American musician
- Nicolaes Maes (1634-1693), Dutch painter
- Nelly Maes (b. 1941), Belgian social liberal politician
- Jules Maes (b. 1882), Belgian fencer at the 1924 Summer Olympics
- Caroline Maes (b. 1982), Belgian tennis player
Maes Family Crest Products