MacIndeor History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
In ancient Scotland, the Picts were the ancestors of the first to use the name MacIndeor. It was a name for a pilgrim from the Gaelic word deoradh. The deoradh kept the relics of saints. The family have been the hereditary custodians of St. Fillan's Crozier. 
Early Origins of the MacIndeor family
The surname MacIndeor was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland. Dewarton is a village, in the parish of Borthwick, county of Edinburgh. It is here that the Dewar family have held the estate of Vogrie since early times. 
Early History of the MacIndeor family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacIndeor research. Another 122 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and 1296 are included under the topic Early MacIndeor History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacIndeor Spelling Variations
The arts of spelling and translation were yet in their infancies when surnames began, so there are an enormous number of spelling variations of the names in early Scottish records. This is a particular problem with Scottish names because of the numerous times a name might have been loosely translated to English from Gaelic and back. MacIndeor has been spelled Dewar, Dure, Dewyer, Dewer, McIndeor, McJarrow and many more.
Early Notables of the MacIndeor family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early MacIndeor Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the MacIndeor family
This oppression forced many Scots to leave their homelands. Most of these chose North America as their destination. Although the journey left many sick and poor, these immigrants were welcomed the hardy with great opportunity. Many of these settlers stood up for their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence. More recently, Scots abroad have recovered much of their collective heritage through highland games and other patriotic functions and groups. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has located various settlers bearing the name MacIndeor: William and his wife Jane Dewar and two children settled in Antigua in 1774; John Dewar arrived in New York in 1823; Steven Dewer arrived in Antigua in 1679.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Quid non pro patria
Motto Translation: What would not one do for his country.