MacGovern History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The MacGovern surname was originally the Irish Gaelic Mag Shamhrain, which is derived from the word "samhra," meaning "summer."
Early Origins of the MacGovern family
The surname MacGovern was first found in County Cavan .
Important Dates for the MacGovern family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacGovern research. Another 73 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1481, 1410, 1476, 1444, 1476, 1547, 1593, 1587, 1593, 1581 and 1587 are included under the topic Early MacGovern History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacGovern Spelling Variations
Just like the English language, the Gaelic language of Ireland was not standardized in the Middle Ages. Therefore, one's name was often recorded under several different spellings during the life of its bearer. Spelling variations revealed in the search for the origins of the MacGovern family name include MacGovern, Magauran, MacGoveran, MacGoverin and others.
Early Notables of the MacGovern family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early MacGovern Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacGovern migration to the United States
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name MacGovern:
MacGovern Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles MacGovern, who landed in New York, NY in 1815 
- Andrew, Bernard, Edward, James, John, Michael, Patrick, Peter, Terry, and Thomas MacGovern all, who arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
Contemporary Notables of the name MacGovern (post 1700)
- John F. MacGovern, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Massachusetts 5th District, 1990 
- George MacGovern, Senator for South Dakota
- Sir Patrick MacGovern, Company director
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html