Scotland's western coastal mountains and the desolate Hebrides
spawned the line of the MacCrummynd family. The name MacCrummynd was originally a nickname
for a person noted as a guardian. The name, which is Mac Cruimein
in Gaelic, is derived from the Old Norse Hromund,
which means famed protector.
Early Origins of the MacCrummynd family
The surname MacCrummynd was first found in on the Isle of Skye
, where they were hereditary Pipers to the MacLeods of Dunvegan
and founded the famous College of Piping, the most celebrated of its kind in the world. They were said to be the greatest Pipers of all Gaeldom.
Early History of the MacCrummynd family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our MacCrummynd research.Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 153 and 1533 are included under the topic Early MacCrummynd History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
MacCrummynd Spelling Variations
Spelling and translation were not standardized practices until the last few centuries. Spelling variations
are extremely common among early Scottish names. MacCrummynd has been spelled MacCrimmon, MacRimmon, MacCrummen, MacCrummin, Crimmon, Crimmons, Crimmin and many more.
Early Notables of the MacCrummynd family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early MacCrummynd Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the MacCrummynd family to the New World and Oceana
Settlers from Scotland
put down roots in communities all along the east coast of North America. Some moved north from the American colonies to Canada as United Empire Loyalists during the American War of Independence
. As Clan
societies and highland games started in North America in the 20th century many Scots rediscovered parts of their heritage. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name MacCrummynd were among those contributors: Donald MacCrimmon, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1847; W. Crimmond arrived in New York in 1822; John Crimmin arrived in Philadelphia in 1861.
The MacCrummynd Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Permitte caetera divis
Motto Translation: Leave the rest to the Gods.