Lynwood History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Lynwood family
The surname Lynwood was first found in Lincolnshire at Linwood, a parish, in the union of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of Walshcroft. This parish dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was known as Lindude.  Literally the parish meant "lime-tree wood" from the Old English words "lind" + "wudu." 
"This place was formerly the residence of the Lynwoods, of whom William, who died in 1446, was bishop of St. David's, and keeper of the privy seal under Henry VI." 
The Lingwood variant probably originated in Lingwood, Norfolk having derived from the the Old English words "hlinc" + "wudu," collectively meaning "wood on a blank or slope." The earliest record of this parish was in 1199 when it was known as Lingewood. 
Early rolls revealed Richard de Lindewude in the Registrum Auntquissimum (1196-1203); and John de Lyndewode in the London Assize of Nuisance in 1334. Later again, Thomas Lynwood was listed in the Register of Freemen of York in 1437. 
Early History of the Lynwood family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lynwood research. Another 129 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1083, 1137, 1432, 1542, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Lynwood History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lynwood Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lingwood, Linwood, Lynwood, Lyngwood and others.
Early Notables of the Lynwood family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lynwood Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lynwood family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Thomas Lingwood, who came to Barbados in 1684; Wm. Lingwood, who was naturalized in Wisconsin in 1866; as well as Robert Lingwood, who was on record in the census of Ontario, Canada of 1871..
Contemporary Notables of the name Lynwood (post 1700) +
- Carl Lynwood Mathias (b. 1936), American former Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1960 to 1961
- James Lynwood Bentley (1904-1975), American Democrat politician, Member of Georgia State House of Representatives from Upson County, 1941-44; Member of Georgia State Senate, 1945-46 
- Carroll Lynwood Beedy (1880-1947), American Republican politician, Cumberland County Prosecuting Attorney, 1917-21; U.S. Representative from Maine 1st District, 1921-35; Defeated, 1934 
- Lynwood Lacey "Sonny" Easley (1939-1978), American racecar driver
- Lynwood K. Ireland, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 7th District 
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 20) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html