Lyness History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Lyness surname comes from an Upper German word "lind," which meant "tender" or "gentle hearted." In some instances, especially in Saxony, the surname evolved from the personal name Lindemuth. In general, the similar phonetic name Linde comes from "Linden," which was a type of tree.
Early Origins of the Lyness family
The surname Lyness was first found in Prussia, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. Chronicles first mention Hainrich der Lind in Constance in 1254.
Early History of the Lyness family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lyness research. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1780, 1784, 1799, 1820, 1834, 1862, and 1887 are included under the topic Early Lyness History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lyness Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lind, Lynd, Lint, Lynt and others.
Early Notables of the Lyness family (pre 1700)
Prominent figures of the time who bore the name Lyness were Anton Franz Hermann Lindt, a general in the Saxon army, who was ennobled in 1780. He was born in Frankfurt a.M. but moved with the family to Dresden. In 1784 he became general-inspector of the infantry, and in 1799 General of...
Another 52 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lyness Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Lyness migration to Canada ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lyness Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Mr. John Lyness, aged 18 who immigrated to Canada, arriving at the Grosse Isle Quarantine Station in Quebec aboard the ship "Saguenay" departing from the port of Cork, Ireland but died on Grosse Isle on 20th September 1847 
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Sub manu solius dei
Motto Translation: Under the hand of the kingdom of God.
- Charbonneau, André, and Doris Drolet-Dubé. A Register of Deceased Persons at Sea and on Grosse Île in 1847. The Minister of Canadian Heritage, 1997. ISBN: 0-660-198/1-1997E (p. 40)