Lutun History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Lutun family
The surname Lutun was first found in Bedfordshire, at Luton, once home of Luton Castle, a 12th-century castle, a timber motte-and-bailey structure built in 1139 but demolished in 1154. An excavation in 2002, revealed a steep ditch. Today Luton is a large town and unitary authority of Bedfordshire, but in the area Paleolithic encampments (about 250,000 years old) have been found. About the 6th century, it was a Saxon outpost on the River Lea. Luton is recorded in the Domesday Book  as Loitone and also as Lintone.
One of the first records of the family was Osbert de Luton who was registered in the Curia Regis Rolls for Cornwall in 1206. Later, Roger Luton was recorded in 1253.  In Lancashire, John de Luyton was rector of the church of St. Elphin, Warrington, Lancashire in 1343. 
Early History of the Lutun family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lutun research. Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1206, 1238, 1240 and 1253 are included under the topic Early Lutun History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lutun Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Luton, Luthon, Leuton, Leueton, Lewton, Louton and many more.
Early Notables of the Lutun family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lutun Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lutun family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: William Luton, who settled in Virginia in 1675; Thomas Lewton, who settled in Virginia in 1701; Thomas Luton, who was on record in the census of Ontario of 1871.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- 'Townships: Scarisbrick', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 265-276. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp265-276 [accessed 21 January 2017].