Lutt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Lutt family
The surname Lutt was first found in Worcestershire where the name is a local name 'of Luttley', a hamlet in the parish of Hales-Owen . Today Lutley is an area of Halesowen in the West Midlands of England. The ancient pathway named Lutley Gutter runs through the area. In Staffordshire the earliest records of the name were found: Philip de Lotteleg and Thomas de Luttelegh, both recorded during the reign of King Edward I. Philip de Lotteleg (Luttley) "was the ancestor of the family the direct line of which terminated in an heiress in the reign of Henry VI. But Adam de Luittley, younger brother of Philip was grandfather of Sir William Luttley, Knight of Munslow Hall, Shropshire"  and it was from him the hereditary line continued.
Early History of the Lutt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lutt research. Another 147 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1241, 1396, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Lutt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lutt Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Luttley, Luttlie, Luttlee, Luttlea, Luttleigh, Lutteley, Luttely, Lutley, Lutelie, Lutlee and many more.
Early Notables of the Lutt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lutt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lutt migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lutt Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Alice Lutt, who landed in Maryland in 1649 
Lutt Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Catharina Lutt, who arrived in New York in 1709-1710 
Lutt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Marie Lutt, aged 18, who landed in New York in 1854 
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)