Lowenberg History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German family name Lowenberg is derived from the combination of two element: "lowen" or "löwe," meaning "lion," and "berg," meaning "hill" or "mountain." There are several towns by this name in Germany, located in Silesia, Württemberg, and in Brandenburg. It is most likely that several families independently assumed this name during the Middle Ages, when the German speaking peoples began using surnames with more and more frequency. Some no doubt took the name of where they were from; perhaps others had already been known by Lowenberg as a nick-name.
Early Origins of the Lowenberg family
The surname Lowenberg was first found in Bohemia and the Rhineland. There was a Loew family that was one of the oldest and most respected families of the Rhineland. Chronicles mention them as early as 1265, though the first individual known was the knight Erwin Loew around 1300. Another early recorded instance of this name is of a Cuonrad Leuwenberg in Oberjesingen, near Herrenberg in the fourteenth century.
Important Dates for the Lowenberg family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lowenberg research. Another 170 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1465, 1706, 1733, 1799, 1628, 1703, 1796, 1869 and 1217 are included under the topic Early Lowenberg History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lowenberg Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lowenberg, Lowenburg, Loewenberg, Löwenberg and others.
Early Notables of the Lowenberg family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lowenberg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lowenberg migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lowenberg Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Friederich Lowenberg, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1774 
Lowenberg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Moses Lowenberg, aged 27, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847 
- Isaac Lowenberg, who landed in New Jersey in 1854 
- Samuel Lowenberg, who landed in Mississippi in 1876 
Contemporary Notables of the name Lowenberg (post 1700)
- Shelley E. Lowenberg, American politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Iowa, 1972 
- Lupe Casillas Lowenberg, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Texas State House of Representatives 79th District, 1994 
- Henry A. Lowenberg, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 14th District, 1932 
- David Lowenberg, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1864 
- Daniela Löwenberg, German football midfielder
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html